West Beach Santa Barbara is a city beach overlooking the harbor and breakwater.
West Beach is directly west of Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara along Cabrillo Boulevard.
It's an easy walk from the downtown restaurants and shops along State Street in Santa Barbara downtown. This 0.3 mile stretch of sandy beach has kayak and paddleboard rentals, a playground, swimming pool and wading pool.
Dogs are not allowed on this beach.
10 best attractions at West Beach Santa Barbara
1. Go swimming in summertime.
In warmer months you can swim in the ocean at Santa Barbara. The water temperature is a chilly 57 degrees in winter months, increasing to 65 degrees in summer.
2. Rent a kayak or paddle board on the beach.
Rental stands are conveniently located right on the sand at West Beach! Pick your kayak and paddleboard, then plan a guided tour or rental.
3. Play a fun game of volleyball on the sand.
Volleyball nets are already set up on the beach. Just bring a ball and start playing!
4. Walk the scenic 3-mile beachfront path.
5. Visit the restaurants at nearby Stearns Wharf.
Combine a trip to West Beach with a meal on bustling Stearns Wharf, overlooking the beach.
6. Rent a bike and ride the 4.5 mile beachfront path.
This fabulous bike path takes you on a scenic ride from Santa Barbara to the neighboring town of Montecito. Start at Leadbetter Beach in Santa Barbara, then ride past West Beach and East Beach, finishing at beautiful Butterfly Beach in Montecito. Rent from Santa Barbara Bike to Go, or Wheel Fun Rentals.
7. Visit the public swimming pool at West Beach.
The Los Banos Del Mark Swimming Pool is open to the public, and is a 50-meter outdoor swimming pool, located at 401 Shoreline Drive. Check swim pass prices for residents and non-residents.
8. Take the kids to a cute wading pool.
The West Beach wading pool is open during warmer months, located near the playground at 401 Shoreline Drive.
9. Visit the beachfront playground.
This small playground has a few picnic tables, and is located at 401 Shoreline Drive.
10. Take part in 4th of July Celebrations on West Beach.
A fireworks show is usually held each year on West Beach, for the 4th of July. There are also food vendors and music.
Know before you go
- Parking: Along West Cabrillo Boulevard.
- Restroom: At the entrance of Stearns Wharf.
- Kayak and paddleboard rentals: yes.
- Playground: yes.
- Wading pool: yes.
- Swimming pool: yes.
- Nearest restaurants: Stearns Wharf.