Tour a charming historic home owned by a sea captain in Astoria Oregon.
Flavel House Museum is 2 hours from Portland Oregon in the historic coastal town of Astoria (714 Exchange Street).
Tickets can be purchased at the adjacent carriage house on Exchange Street and 7th. Check hours & admission.
This Queen Anne style mansion was built in 1884-1885 by Captain George Flavel as his retirement home, and he lived there for seven years until his death with his wife Mary, and daughters Nellie and Katie. His great-grand daughter ended up donating the house to the city in 1934.
Explore the lower and upper floors of this 11,600 square foot Flavel House Museum, and learn about the daily lives of a wealthy Victorian-era family.
5 best things about Flavel House Museum
- Captain John Flavel made his fortune as a river bar pilot, owning tug boats that towed and guided ships past the dangerous entrance of the Columbia River. He had a monopoly on this business that generated the $36,000 used to build the mansion in the 1880s, and was one of the richest men in Oregon.
- Flavel House was nearly torn down twice to make way for a park then a parking lot, but thankfully saved.
- The interior woodwork, crown moldings and ornate fireplaces at Flavel House Museum have been meticulously preserved and are complemented by period furnishings. This grand house has 14-foot ceilings on the lower floor and impressive rooms including the entrance hall, formal parlor, music room and library.
- The highlight is the three story tower that Captain John Flavel used as an observation post for ships navigating the treacherous waters at the entrance of the Columbia River.
- Flavel House was featured as a museum in the popular movie The Goonies (1985) where Mikey's dad is a curator.
Other fun things to do in Astoria
There's some much to do at the popular Oregon riverfront town of Astoria!
Enjoy a waterfront meal at the Bridgewater Bistro or Buoy Beer. Visit the world-class Columbia River Maritime Museum, or walk to the top of the Astoria Column.
Drive a short distance out of town see the Peter Iredale shipwreck at Fort Stevens, the North Head Lighthouse at Cape Disappointment, or the Lewis and Clark fort at Fort Clatsop. Learn more about visiting Astoria.
Review this attraction