Monterey is the whale watching capital of the world!
Whale watching tours are available year-round in Monterey, and most depart from the Fisherman’s Wharf.
These fully narrated cruises provide insight into this coastal ecosystem that is part of the largest Marine Sanctuary in the U.S.
Expect to see humpback whales, blue whales, grey whales and sperm whales off the gorgeous waters of Monterey.
5 best things about Whale Watching in Monterey
1. Gray and Killer Whales can be seen during the Winter Season, from January to March.
2. Humpback and Blue Whale sightings are common from April to December.
3. The massive, submarine canyon close to Monterey's shore, is home to prolific sea life. This deep sea canyon is often compared to an underwater version of the Grand Canyon. The proximity of this canyon to Monterey means that whale species more suited to deep waters are visible off Monterey’s shores. The canyon’s dimensions are astounding, and it has walls up to 2-miles high, and a width of 95-miles!
4. Monterey's coastline is part of the largest marine sanctuary in the U.S. This National Marine Sanctuary stretches 276-miles from San Francisco to the Big Sur.
5. See other species like dolphins, sea turtles, sea lions and more.