Mission Beach is a gorgeous sandy beach in San Diego, stretching for 2-miles along the Pacific Ocean.
Mission Beach is a ten minute drive northwest of downtown San Diego, and is one of San Diego's most popular beaches.
Bike or stroll along the Ocean Front Walk at Mission Beach, buzzing with shops, bars and restaurants, plan a beach day, or enjoy the fun nightlife at oceanside bars.
10 best things to do at Mission Beach
1. Plan a beach day. Grab your towel and umbrella, and settle in for a beach day at Mission Beach. It's best to visit during summer months when the water temperature can reach the high 60s. There are seasonal lifeguards on hand to patrol this beach, however it gets super crowded on warmer days, so arrive early.
2. Picnic at grassy Mission Beach Park. Waterfront Mission Beach Park has plenty of picnic tables and grills, and a convenient restroom. It's located along Mission Boulevard near Belmont Amusement Park, and is adjacent to the huge Mission Beach parking lot.
3. Ride the vintage rollercoaster at Belmont Amusement Park. Belmont Amusement Park is a key attraction at Mission Beach, with a vintage wooden roller coaster operating since 1925. Choose from a thrilling selection of rides including roller coasters, bumper cars, a vertical plunge and speedway. There’s no admission fee, and you just pay per ride.
4. Check out some little kids rides. Belmont Park has a lovely carousel for younger kids, and a mini-express train traveling around the perimeter of the park. Kids can also pick up candy or ice-cream at the Sweet Shoppe.
5. Stroll along the 2.8 mile Ocean Front Walk that passes Mission Beach. Breath in the fresh ocean air and take a leisurely stroll along the Ocean Front Walk. This 2.8 mile paved trail starts at the Crystal Pier at Pacific Beach, then travels south past Mission Beach, before ending at South Mission Beach Park.
6. Rent a bike to ride along the Ocean Front Walk. There are lots of bike rental shops around Belmont Park. Choose from fat tire bikes, tricycles, tandem bikes, kids' bikes, skateboards, rollerblades and more!
7. Take a surf lesson. Sign up for a surf lesson at Mission Beach, where all skill levels are accommodated, from beginners to advanced.
8. Sink your feet into the sand and enjoy a cocktail at the Beach House Grill. This super cool restaurant has tables and cabanas on the sand, with a Hawaiian themed tiki bar, palm trees, and lots of live music.
9. Sip cocktails on the beachfront rooftop at Cannonball restaurant. This massive, nautical-themed rooftop restaurant and bar has incredible views of Mission Beach, and is the perfect place to watch a sunset.
10. Enjoy a more casual atmosphere at Draft Mission Beach. Chow down on burgers and beer along the Ocean Front Walk at the Draft brewpub, with indoor and patio dining.
Know before you go
- Location: 8 miles northwest of San Diego downtown.
- Best part: near Belmont Amusement Park.
- Parking: free parking lots along Mission Boulevard.
- Ocean view bars/restaurants: Beach House, Cannonball, Draft Mission Beach.