See the Space Shuttle Endeavour up close at Exposition Park in L.A.
The California Science Center at Exposition Park is home to the Space Shuttle Endeavour, at 700 Exposition Drive, Los Angeles.
The Space Shuttle Endeavour flew 25 missions between 1992 and 2011, and was the fifth and final NASA Shuttle after the Challenger tragedy in 1986. The shuttle performed tasks like servicing the Hubble Telescope, adding a component to the International Space Station, and conducting thousands of experiments.
Don't forget to reserve tickets ahead of time.
10 best things about Space Shuttle Endeavour exhibit
1. It's an awe-inspiring experience to first lay eyes on this Shuttle!
Endeavor Space Shuttle: 10 BEST Things to Do
The Space Shuttle Endeavour is on display downstairs, in the Samuel Oschin Pavilion.
2. The Space Shuttle Endeavour is raised 10-feet above the ground with an incredible hydraulic system, so you can walk beneath it!
4. Get a close look at the heat tiles on the Space Shuttle Endeavour. These protected the Shuttle when it re-entered the atmosphere.
5. Check out the live camera that shows the inside of the Space Shuttle's Payload Bay, that carried the fuselage and cargo.
6. There's also a live video feed of the Space Shuttle Endeavour's flight deck.
7. See the main engine of the Space Shuttle Endeavour.
8. Additional living space was provided by the SPACEHAB module, connected to the crew compartment by a pressurized tunnel.
9. The Rocketdyne Operations Support Center is where engineers remotely monitored the Shuttle's performance in the first 8.5 minutes after take-off, before reaching orbit.
10. For an additional fee you can ride on a cool Endeavour Simulator!
11. Touch the worn tires on Endeavour's last flight, that reached temperatures of 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
12. See the Space Shuttle Endeavour's nose cone.
13. This is the Fuel Cell Power Plant that generated electricity onboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Three of these were required for each Shuttle.
14. This is the space potty! Can you figure out how it works?
15. Here is the kitchen galley where food was prepared.
16. There's also a fantastic cinema documenting the Space Shuttle Endeavour journey from Houston to LA in 2012. It was first flown to LA above a 747 aircraft!
Massive crowds watched as it was then towed through the streets of LA to the Science Center.
17. There was a lot of pride when the Space Shuttle Endeavour came to L.A., because many of the parts were created in nearby Palmdale, California.
18. Just before you enter the cinema check out the Transfer Order document on the wall valuing the Shuttle at $1.98 billion.
The Order transferred the Shuttle from NASA to the California Science Center Foundation.
Future plans for the Endeavor Space Shuttle
Planning is underway to house the Space Shuttle Endeavour in the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Museum, where the shuttle will be displayed vertically in the launch position with it's rocket boosters and 9-story external tank. Wow! Here's an artist's rendering of how this new 100,000 square foot museum will look.
Know before you go
- Address: 700 Exposition Park Drive, L.A, CA 90037 (south of downtown LA).
- Tickets: General admission to the Science Center's permanent exhibition galleries is FREE. However tickets are required to see the Space Shuttle or IMAX. Reserve tickets ahead of time.
- Parking: check rates (cash only). Avoid busy game days at Expo Park.
- Public Transport: Take the 50 minute EXPO line from Santa Monica to the Expo Park/USC Station. Cheap fares (cash only).
- Food Hall: Ground floor at the Science Center.
Other things to do at Exposition Park