Powells Books in Portland is the largest independent bookstore in the world.
Powell's flagship "City of Books" is north of Downtown Portland in the trendy Pearl District (check hours, 1005 W Burnside St).
Powells Books is the largest independent bookstore in the world, and was founded in 1971 by Walter Powell.
It sells millions of new and used books, including hard to find titles, and those that are out of print. Check out the rare first editions and collectibles in a special room up on the 3rd floor. There's also an astounding 500 author readings each year at the Basil Hallward Gallery on the 3rd floor!
Don't forget to purchase some unique, Portland-themed merchandise at the gift shop on the 1st floor at Powells Books.
After visiting Powells Books, discover other attractions in the Pearl District, including cool restaurants, brewpubs and cafes.
5 best things about Powells Books
1. The Pearl District location occupies a full city block, taking up 68,000 square feet over four floors.
2. Browse an incredible selection of over 2 million new and used books on the first two floors, and score a great deal at the used book section.
3. Purchase some unique, Portland-themed merchandise at the Gift Shop on the 1st floor.
4. Stop by the Rare Book Room on the 3rd floor, home to autographed first editions in a stunning space.
5. Visit the Basil Hallward Gallery on the 3rd floor for author readings and art shows.
Know before you go
Review this attraction