Elliott Bay Books is a destination bookstore in Seattle.
This indie bookstore is cherished by Seattleites, and is nearly fifty years old.
It's located in the hip neighborhood of Capitol Hill, at 1521 Tenth Avenue. Check opening hours.
This nationally renowned bookstore is a must-see when visiting Seattle, with a thoughtfully curated selection of books in a warm, rustic setting.
Enjoy coffee, wine beer, salads, sandwiches and pastries at Little Oddfellows Cafe, inside Elliott Bay Books.
10 things to know about Elliott Bay Books
1. The Elliott Bay Books was founded in 1973 by Walter Carr, and has changed ownership many times. Walter Carr grew up in San Francisco, and was inspired by the iconic City Light Booksellers in North Beach. He felt like he could replicate that authentic, indie bookstore experience in Seattle.
2. Its original location was in Seattle's Pioneer Square in the historic Globe Building.
3. In 2010 Elliott Bay Books moved to Capitol Hill after four decades. The move was motivated by declining sales from the 2008 recession, and challenges faced by the Pioneer Square neighborhood.
4. The Capitol Hill location is inside a large industrial building that used to be a Ford truck repair facility. This space has a warm ambiance, with large divided light windows, and the original cedar shelves from Pioneer Square.
5. There's loads of comfortable seating at Elliott Bay Books, including sofas, reading nooks and a loft.
6. Elliott Bay Books attracts world class authors for it's 500 author readings a year, and is nationally renowned.
7. It carries an astounding 150,000 titles, with Employee Recommendations to help navigate all the choices. There's even an Elliott Bay Book group that meets monthly to discuss titles.
8. The staff are kind and seem genuinely knowledgeable about the books.
9. Hang out in the cosy Little Oddfellows cafe, also selling wine and beer.
10. Step outside to explore the hip neighborhood of Capitol Hill, and cool cafes, restaurants, brewpubs, furniture stores and boutiques. The Starbucks Reserve Roastery is 0.4 miles away, and offers tasting flights of rare Reserve coffees.
Know before you go
- Elliott Bay Books hours: Check here.
- Address: 1521 Tenth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122.
- Cafe: Yes.
Other attractions near Elliott Bay Books
Check out some other great attractions near Elliott Bay Books.
Volunteer Park is also in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, home to the celebrated Asian Art Museum and Volunteer Park Conservatory. The exquisite Seattle Japanese Garden is a little further east.
There are two great art galleries within driving distance of Elliott Bay Books; the free Frye Art Museum and the Seattle Art Museum.
You could also drive southwest down to the Seattle waterfront to see the Seattle Great Wheel and Seattle Aquarium.
Review this attraction